Wednesday, 15 June 2011

The Washing Up

The single worst thing about being a single parent is the washing up. I'm not joking. Read on and I'll explain why.

I have recently been interviewed by the lovely Laura Bond for an article which will be appearing in Cosmo Australia in September. The article is about the recent celebrity movement towards choosing to be young single mum's. The point of it is that these women are strong and independent and becoming a single mum isn't always a bad thing.

This got me thinking about being a single parent. I actually have found a lot of positives and benefits for Tabby B. I can spend every bit of my energy on Tabby B, having fun & bringing her up exactly how I want to. I don't have to compromise with anything. I don't know how anyone actually raises a child and maintains a happy, healthy relationship!

I can cope with the tiredness, that's fine. Tabby B has slept through the night only twice in her life! I'm not a big fan of controlled crying (I don't mind people using it, it's just not for us!) so at the moment I'm just going with the flow. I can't force her to sleep and there's no magic solution. She'll get there in the end!

I can also deal with the loneliness. Well, I don't feel lonely, so I must deal with it! I use all of my energy on Tabby B so don't have any left to be lonely with. I am very lucky having brilliant friends and family around supporting us at every turn.

So, back to the washing up. It's the mundane day to day tasks that are the worst part of being a single mum. When I am too tired, can't be bothered, feel ill I don't have a choice. I have to still do everything. If I leave the washing up it's there, staring at me, in the morning. I don't have a girlfriend, boyfriend, husband or wife to take up some of the slack.

When washing up is the biggest problem in your life you know that everything's alright!

Just a quick endnote, my lovely friend Emma has a great blog and has done a little feature on Me and Tabby B Have a little look if you have time! Emma has a great blog! Oh, and I lost 1lb at slimming world this week! Yay!!

I wrote this post this morning. I'm really glad that I did. I've had a hard day today involving solicitors and mediators attempting to reach an agreement with Tabby B's Dad. That combined with money worries (like most parents, single or otherwise) has bought me down. Reading back this blog has helped remind me just how lucky I really am.



xxx

2 comments: